Monday, March 2, 2009

Stuck In San Antonio

I am sitting in the San Antonio airport waiting for my plane.  It was scheduled to leave at 6:33 p.m.  It is now 8:15.  My parents and I came out to participate in my sister's promotion ceremony(more about that later).   Yesterday our flight was scheduled to leave at 12:33 p.m.  It was delayed due to the bad weather in Atlanta.  It was repeatedly delayed several times and we got an update hourly.   We actually made it on the plane, but before everyone could board, they asked us all to get off of the plane.  Finally after waiting for five hours  they decided to cancel the flight.  The Atlanta Airport was closed.  If we actually made it onto a plane and took off for Atlanta, there was no guarantee that there would be a gate to accommodate us.  We might have to sit on the runway for several hours with no food or bathroom.  Or we might have been diverted to another destination like Birmingham.  There's nothing wrong with Birmingham, but we would have been stuck there as well.   So here we are again. Waiting.  But the word that keeps running through my mind is provision.  It was one of the subjects of my Bible Study last week. 

We are studying our functional idols in "No Other Gods".  Sometimes we find it hard to turn loose of our functional gods because of their provision to us.  We must rely on God and God alone to meet all of our needs. In Genesis 22, God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his only son.  Abraham didn't know all of the details and assumed that God would raise Isaac from the dead.  He knew that God's promise of making him a great nation was made possible with Isaac.  He told Isaac that God himself would provide a lamb for sacrifice.  But God provided a ram.  God's provision isn't always what we think it will be or should be. But it is always the best for us.  We have to give up our functional gods and the provision that we think we have with them.  God's provision for us is perfect. Sometimes we can't see the perfection of His provision until later. 

So I am thankful that while God didn't provide a plane for us yesterday, we had a place to stay. We called my sister and she picked us up again and we went back to her house.   His provision kept us from sitting on a runway for several hours.  His provision gave me an extra day with my sister.  His provision is perfect.


 

Cindy Sig 2

3 comments:

Leah Adams said...

His provision is perfect!! Hope you are HOME when you read this!!

Talk to you later.

Leah

Lora said...

"Sometimes we find it hard to turn loose of our functional gods because of their provision to us. We must rely on God and God alone to meet all of our needs." Amen Cindy, amen!

Praying you are safely home!

Sharon said...

Glad you are safely back home, Cindy! PTL!

We should definitely plan to meet face-to-face the next time you are in town. I'd love that!

My family and I actually had lunch at the Alamo cafe last Sunday after church! I love their Chicken Chalupas -- so yummy. I'm glad you got to smell the Mountain Laurel! So fragrant, isn't it? :)

I'm up at this obscene hour and should really be asleep. I'm going to try to force myself to catch a few zzz's now. Shelby's alarm will be going off at 6:20 am sharp! Today is "Biblical Character Day" at her school and she's going to be dressing up as Queen Esther. I'll try taking a few pictures and posting them later. :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Sharon